Monday 28 March 2016

Revolution Aberdeen: picnic basket review

Two weekends ago I was kindly invited along to Revolution Bars Aberdeen to sample the very first Revolution picnic basket ahead of its official launch last week. That's right, I was the first person in Aberdeen to try this out, so as you can imagine, I really didn't have a clue what I was walking into, which made the experience that much more fun!

Arriving on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon - yes I kid you not, sunshine in Aberdeen and it's not even July yet - I brought along my boyfriend, my sister and her boyfriend to tuck into what was much needed hangover food in the form of a cute, quirky picnic.

Since refurbishing recently, it is clear Revolution Aberdeen wants to create the atmosphere of a picnic in the park (conveniently the bar looks out onto Union Terrace Gardens). The concept is fun, and is something different, offering the people of Aberdeen a unique picnic experience in a well-established bar without having to worry about preparing or tidying up. Sounds like picnic heaven.

Deciding to pace myself, I opted for a virgin Bloody Mary, whilst my boyfriend also decided on a mocktail. With our heads sore from the prosecco we devoured the previous night I was excited to get tucked in to some awesome food.
Unbeknown to me, two bottles of prosecco landed on our table (this was part of the picnic ) and I immediately liked the look of how things were starting off. With a bottle per couple, we decided to only open one initially, seeing how brave we were toasting to a glorious day of beautiful sunshine and fine food.
When the picnic basket arrived on our table we were very intrigued to see what was inside. We had all been guessing what may or may not be in the basket, and I can safely say all four of us were wrong in our predictions. 

What you can expect to find in your picnic basket:
  • Freshly baked baguettes
  • A selection of cold meats
  • A selection of cheeses
  • Houmous
  • Sundried tomatoes and nocellara olives
  • Potato salad
  • Selection of condiments including some beautiful chutney and grapes
  • One bottle of Bolla prosecco (rosé )
You can also add a desserts package for £5 extra per person including brownie, cheesecake and strawberries and cream.


Once we had pulled everything out of the basket, inspecting every single item with such curiosity, we were digging into our picnic within no time (after I had paused consumption intermittently whilst I got happy snappy - the story of a blogger's guest's life). The bread was delicious, and still warm inside which meant the butter and cheese melted perfectly, which made the mini sandwiches we were all assembling that much more divine. The selection of meats and cheese's was also very generous, as well as varied. I'm not a massive fan of blue cheese so I avoided this after initially tasting a small piece, however, everything else tasted extremely fresh and was more than enough for the four of us. 

The chutney was the show stopper for me, as was the potato salad. This simplistic, yet flavoursome lunch was exactly what the doctor had ordered and was very filling which surprised me as initially I thought the four of us would have easily have eaten the lot, my mistake. The only thing I would have added more of was the baguette, due to the fact it's the one main component of the lunch you use as a base in creating mini tasters of everything. However, when we asked for more bread this was no fuss whatsoever and the waitress at the time gathered our recommendations and fed this back to the chef immediately, which was very reassuring.

Alongside the picnic, we also indulged in one or two of Revolution Aberdeen's cocktails. I decided on Absolute Soup which features Absolut vodka, Teihenné coconut schnapps, apple juice and grapefruit served in an iconic Andy Warhol tin can, and my sisters boyfriend chose the salted caramel mudshake with Stoli vodka, white chocolate and salted caramel popcorn flavoured vodkas - half and half, and chocolate sauce topped with whipped cream and more chocolate sauce, super muddy.
At £25 per person, based on two people sharing the picnic concept is hella fun and also rather tasty too. The would be the perfect starting point for going out at the weekend, or even just a relaxing afternoon basking in the sun with your friends enjoying a glass or two of prosecco indulging in your picnic. With spring in full flow and summer just around the corner, I can guarantee you'll want to try this wee beauty out.

A massive thank you to Aicha from Revolution Aberdeen who invited me down to enjoy the perfect Sunday picnic overlooking the park. A great concept for those looking to go out for lunch and a few drinks with friends, I'll definitely be getting my girlfriends involved in this next time we go out for a few!

   For Now...

Just Julia
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Julia

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig