Monday 24 October 2016

The Fairmont: Savoy Afternoon tea (review)

When you think of decadent afternoon tea's within Scotland I would be surprised if the Fairmont St Andrews wasn't on your top five list.

Now host to the prestigious Savoy Afternoon Tea, which originates from The Savoy Hotel in London (also managed under the Fairmont group), afternoon tea has never tasted, or looked so good.

After a recent multi-million pound refurbishment to the hotel's aesthetic and public areas, the five star hotel has completely changed its look. With the concept of bringing the outside inside, it is clear there are notes of the sea and land beautifully captured within the hotels interior design. One showstopper within the airy atrium lounge is the 60-metre lighting sculpture 'Zephyr'. Designed by artist George Singer, the sculpture resembles a fish in the sea, changing colour as the lights hit it - truly stunning.
Not wanting to starting the afternoon off with a pop too early, I opted for a stunning exotic Oolong tea - an oriental honeyed, sweet tea which is famed for being one of the Queen's favourite teas. My guest for the afternoon, the gorgeous Sarah of Blogs Vlogs Etc, decided on a traditional breakfast tea, although was almost tempted to try out one of the floral teas too. Maybe next time...

I indulged in my fancy tea, whilst the staff talked us through the experience and the delicious food we were about to devour.

To start, we were treated to a delicious selection of finger sandwiches which included; Ayrshire ham with wholegrain mustard and apple chutney on wholemeal bread, coronation chicken brioche rolls (these were divine!), a rich classic egg salad with watercress on white bread and smoked Scottish samlon with herb cream cheese on mated brown bread. The winner for me was the mozzarella, beef, tomato, pesto and balsamic glaze on herb and spinach bread - who would have thought green bread would have tasted so damn good. I'm officially converted.

The sandwiches were accompanied by baked raisin and plain scones too, which I lathered in Cornish clotted cream, strawberry preserve and homemade lemon curd too obviously. They were heavenly, melting slowly in my mouth with every bite.


Next up was probably my favourite part of the experience, the delicate tea pastries which were utterly more-ish. I  hate to admit it, but I had already loosened my belt buckle in preparation for this - no cake was going to defeat me.

The choices included; 
Seasonal gateaux with pistachio sponge and black cherry Bavarois,
Lemon curd tart with candied lemon sponge, Italian meringue, coated in white chocolate.
Classic opera cake boasting intense coffee butter cream, jaconde biscuit, and dark chocolate.
Lavender éclair infused with vanilla cream in a choux bun.
Strawberry sable with a lightened vanilla custard, fresh strawberries and sweet tartlet.

And in true Julia fashion, I tried them all.

These sweet treats were incredibly beautiful, and not only tasted delicious, they also looked so delicate and were perfectly positioned on the silver platter in dashing military fashion.

Teapots topped up, I was beginning to feel rather full, but there were still two final cakes to sample...breathe in...breathe out...
With a deep breath and the loosening of another buckle, I was ready to take on the Atrium Lounge signature cakes. A triple chocolate brownie cake and a refreshingly light Victoria sponge cake, one at a time the cakes made their way into my mouth. I was in afternoon tea euphoria.
After relaxing in the Atrium for a while after our Savoy Afternoon Tea experience, we were lucky enough to get a quick tour of one of the standard rooms at the hotel. Large rooms with a spacious bathroom and huge shower, I was envious of the guest who would be stepping into the hotel room a few hours later. Whoever you are, I hope to god you used that bathtub as it looks lush!

My first visit to The Fairmont at St Andrews was exceptionally pleasant and I couldn't recommend the Savoy Afternoon Tea enough. At £25 per person it's brilliantly priced and for a little extra you can also include a glass of Moet & Chandon NV or Moet & Chandon Rose NV.

This is the perfect experience if you're looking to get out of Aberdeen for the day. Only an hour and a half(ish) drive from Aberdeen, you could easily spend all day getting lost in the beauty of the hotel. I would absolutely love to stay and try out the other facilities the hotel has to offer including the spa,  and the bar and grill restaurant, however I think I will give the golf a miss. Maybe that's one my boyfriend would be interested in - although he'd more likely enjoy being pampered in the spa too!

  For Now...

Just Julia

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Julia

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig