Wednesday 3 January 2018

JUST JULIA TRIES: The Butcher (Amsterdam)

I bloody love burgers. Be it beef, chicken, seafood or veggie, I'm all over it. It's always my go-to if I can't decide what to have when I'm out for dinner, and I find there's something really familiar about a burger that you will almost most certainly know exactly what you're getting in any country across the world.

So it was no surprise that when my boyfriend and I jetted away to Amsterdam for his 30th birthday in November, that we hunted down the best burger place in town, The Butcher.
The best way to describe The Butcher is a similar set up to Five Guys in the UK - it's a sit-in/takeaway restaurant, but the burgers are margins above. Not to say Five Guys isn't good of course...

The menu is simple, but the flavours are complex, and with five locations in Amsterdam alone, one in Berlin and one in Ibiza, it's no surprise they've become so successful.

The high-end, casual burger bars are located across Amsterdam and we were lucky enough to be staying not too far from the Nine Streets location.

It's interiors are simplistic. White tiles surround the restaurant and feature old fashioned illustrations on them. It's a little industrial, but it's the brand's famous life-sized cow hanging in the window of the premises that really captures diners attention.

On entering, we were greeted by a chirpy guy who guided us through the menu, giving his recommendations after hearing our preferences.

True to himself, Calum ordered the butcher burger with cheese and I went for the truffle burger.
What I love most about these burgers was the fact that they use prime Aberdeen Angus beef patties. Hailing from the Granite City it was awesome to find out that they source their beef from near my hometown. And for that, this place was already winning in my eyes.

The Butcher with cheese was a succulent burger topped with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, gherkins, Dutch Edam cheese and the secret signature The Butcher sauce.

My Truffle Burger was also very juicy and boasted lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and was cooked in a fragrant truffle glaze which smelled very pungent and tasted utterly delicious.

I personally would usually have my burger cooked well done, but I decided to let the chef take the lead on this one and he cooked it to what I would assume was medium-rare. Calum was more than happy with the way his burger was cooked, however I may have had mine cooked a little longer - but that's just personal preference and it didn't' take away from the burgers overall taste in any shape.

To accompany our burgers we both added a side of Butcher fries to our order (regular fries) and two soft drinks. There's mayonnaise and tomato ketchup on tap for diners to take advantage of, and the open kitchen is really cool as you get to see your burgers hand crafted right in front of you - and you can also see when it's almost ready.

Served on a metal tray, the burgers are pretty big, as was the bag of chips too. The branding is fun and playful with the napkins having 'wipe that bloody smile' printed on them.
The burgers were extremely filling due to the size of the burger patty. Not to mention the bunch of chips that I ended up having to sacrifice as I was so full.

With over 15 different burgers on the menu, hot dogs and vegetarian options, as well as numerous side options including sweet potato fries, popcorn chicken and quinoa, avocado and feta salad, the eatery offers up a variety of options for lunch or dinner.

Having arrived so early (we were literally the first people there), the eatery got busy just as we were leaving which was perfect timing for us. We'd had the chance to see how the kitchen works and got the opportunity to chat the the chefs working which was really cool, so I was glad we ate a little earlier than usual.

Definitely worth checking out if you're ever in Amsterdam - and with five locations, I'm sure you'd stumble across one of their restaurants sooner rather than later.

  For Now...

Just Julia
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Julia

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig