Tuesday 31 January 2017

The Marcliffe (Aberdeen): Review


It was my graduation that first introduced me to the mesmerisingly enchanting hotel that is The Marcliffe. I had heard so many wonderful stories about this picturesque place, somewhere that comments like 'outstanding quality' and 'undeniably the best food in Aberdeen' seemed to be common place. As a treat, we'd booked to go for lunch after my graduation from RGU just a few years ago, and I can truly say that  it was the first time I had been totally blown away by any food offering.

Flash forward a few years now, I was lucky enough to be invited for an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast - working with a lifestyle magazine from time to time definitely has its perks - and to say I was bursting with excitement is an understatement.

Aberdeen's only five star accommodation, I knew I was in for a treat at this prestigious North Deeside residence.

Packing our bags (yes, the trusty old boyfriend was coming along) we headed along to the hotel around 3.30pm to check in for the evening. As always, the staff were extremely friendly, and the concierge even helped us with our bags. We were directed to the The Floors suite, a spacious haven with lounge chairs and a huge bed with slippers and robes awaiting our graces. Not only was the room gorgeous, I immediately fell in love with the bathroom tiles. A deep, dark marbled green, I felt myself drowning in its beauty.
Relaxing in the room a while, we spruced ourselves up and headed down to the dining room conservatory restaurant. Initially, we were seated in the drawing room and invited to place our drinks orders whilst browsing the dinner menus. 
It's hard to miss the baby grand piano nestled in the corner of the room, showered in photographic memories of VIP guests who have graced these halls over the past 25 years. Cocktail and beer in hand, we toasted to an evening of good company and excellent food.

Leading us past the open-kitchen and into the dining room we settled at our table and decided on our choice of breads. Moments later our first course was served. Succulent West Coast scallops for me, and Ribble Valley Scotch quail's egg for my other half. The food melted in our mouths and tasted extremely fresh. Never have I tasted scallops quite like those, and to this day, they are still the best scallops I have ever experienced.
Polishing the first course quite promptly, a quick wine top up was executed and then we were straight into our mains. We had both opted for fillet steak (medium rare for me, and rare for Calum) with the addition of a tiger prawn cooked in garlic butter nestled on top of my perfectly cooked steak. Accompanied with a side of fries, salad and peppercorn sauce, there were clean plates all round - a sign of two very satisfied diners.
Eyes bigger than our bellies, but recognising we were full, we decided on something light to finish. One scoop of homemade sticky toffee pudding ice cream for me, and affrogato al caffè for Calum.
Hunger pangs no more, we waddled back to the room, ready to spend some time enjoying the tranquil surroundings in our soft robes and slippers, before drifting off to sleep.

The most enjoyable part of being in a relationship with a man who works offshore, has to be the early rises. With Calum booked to be heading up North the next morning, it was an early start for us both. As much as I would have loved to indulge in the breakfast offering, we were up so early the breakfast wasn't even open yet - not to mention we were still full from the evening before so any additional food would probably been wasted on us. Waving The Marcliffe, and the friendly staff goodbye, we headed off into the horizon (seriously, it was that early) leaving the warmth and beauty of The Marcliffe behind us...
  
  For Now...

Just Julia




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Julia

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig